So you’ve reached that point in your book where you start to think it isn’t good enough. You feel like ripping it up or pushing the delete button. You’ve hit the confidence wall most writers seem to find at some point in their WIP. How do you get through it?
I’d like to explore ways to fall in love with your hero all over again, which just might get you back into your story with renewed confidence.
1. Study his star sign and the predictions for it in the newspaper, magazines or online. You might find ‘A Writer’s Guide to the Zodiac: How the Stars Can Help You Understand Your Characters’ by Giselle Green helpful.
2. Put photographs of actors or people from magazines that have ‘his look’ around your writing place.
3. Search for aspects of him in the men you meet in your daily life.
4. Cook his favourite meal and then imagine him eating it while you enjoy the food.
5. Dream about him. Put his photo under your pillow at night and see what happens.
6. Play music that you think he would like or else makes you think of him.
7. Go on a date with him. You can imagine this or even book a show or restaurant you think he would enjoy.
8. Think about things that would make him laugh and surround yourself with them. Have fun.
9. Buy magazines which reflect his hobbies or interests.
10. Put the aftershave you think he might wear on an old jumper or scarf and inhale him.
Let me know if any of these are helpful or if you have any other ideas for reconnecting with your hero.