For those of you who have missed my many update posts on Twitter (@MSGray53) and Facebook, I finished my 80,000 word writing challenge yesterday. The aim was to write 80,000 words in 80 days and I finished early.
1) A writing challenge is motivating.
2) It is possible to fit the writing of 1,000+ words a day around a busy family life.
3) The more you focus on your characters the more they with communicate with you.
4) The more you write about a story the clearer the plot seems to become.
5) Sometimes you have to write around a story to move forward. Those words may not get included in the final manuscript but they are beneficial for composting ideas.
6) It is useful to write from different viewpoints. I would thoroughly recommend having a go at these exercises.
- I had a go at documenting the emotions of both my hero and heroine and how they changed through the novel.
- I interviewed my main characters to discover more about their motivations and backstory.
- Sometimes I wrote the same scene from a different character’s perspective.
7) I may have written 80,000 words, but this is only the beginning. After a short break from this manuscript I will need to dive into new territory for me – editing!
Have you any comments about my learning points or any other gems to share?